Monday, July 20, 2009

Self Diagnosis

So I am a total hypochondriac and love to think I have diseases that I hear about. Yes.. I wonder if the mole on my inner thigh is cancerous even though it hasn't expanded in 10 years... but I wonder because its not perfectly round and it bulky since chafing has caused it to get inflamed repeatedly. Hmmm, and the self-diagnosis I just came up with is now even more relevant because I was listening to an old NPR interview with this woman who was saying that the 'over-share' is a particular attribute of a bipolar person. Thats something I've never heard before and of course now wonder if I'm bipolar... it could explain why I find it incredibly hard to keep my mouth shut no matter what the issue and usually have to share details with someone.

I don't usually or intentionally blab secrets when I know who is not supposed to hear it.. but if its really juicy or totally messes with my mind, I usually find someone totally unconnected from the secret-sharer to tell it to just so I can get it out of my head.
My love of detail and telling stories makes this even worse. Thats why telling my dreams is usually safe since none of it is real and I don't really hurt anyone's feelings. My husband asked me not to mention something in public as much as I have been and I sat there puzzled, trying to think about how I could have done something differently and really don't know how to not mention something or be discreet.

Don't get me wrong, I know not to tell parents certain things (if you don't think I know how to keep my mouth shut about certain things, you don't know me then ... hehe), but if you recall my myspace blogs, I was very graphic and very detailed and shared a lot. Once I had to start censoring myself, I found it really really hard to think up anything to write. I always find it hard to feel close to someone that I can't share a lot with. For example, I know Guido would have LOVED my graphic rant about my trip to the gynecologist... one of the reasons why he was one of my best friends. Nothing was too graphic, nothing too much of an over-share, no detail too mundane... he loved being immersed in the story of his friend's lives.

I'm really big on the sharing of experiences... for example, we ordered food a month ago or so and my lasagna tasted REALLY funny... a definite non-food taste that I couldn't identify. I wanted Matt to taste it just so he would know what I was going through and to possibly help me figure out what it was, and he refused... he even took it out to the trash so I couldn't keep insisting he try it. Lets just say I got really upset about that... couldn't understand why he wouldn't taste it and he couldn't understand why I would want him to taste something if I knew it tasted bad. When I had really stinky antibiotics, I wanted him to get a whiff of my pills... same thing, he refused to smell them... but when he had stinky pills and he told me they reeked and to go sniff, I did. I want to know other people's experiences and want them to know mine.

Is that so wrong or is it bipolar since I take it to such a degree?

2 comments:

  1. i love when you ramble and i love your details! i would have tasted the lasagna.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have too. I have too much curiosity. So much so that I sampled each of the Bertie's Every Flavor beans for a coworker. I spit a lot of them out but I did sample them all.

    ReplyDelete